Friday, February 1, 2013

Alarms


I am a fan of the alarm clock--or I guess these days my alarms on my phone. Without my alarms, I would always be even later then I already am (I am a big fan of snooze too).  I would also forget to do things I am supposed to be doing so calendar and alerts on my phone once again saves my skin. On the other hand, it is also my worst enemy. It runs our lives from wake up to going to sleep, it gets us to where we are supposed to be but where are we going and are we paying attention to whom we are becoming as we go about doing the things we are supposed to be doing?
I know this is not a new thought or original idea. People have been questioning what the technology is doing to the human experience since the wheel was invented. So I am just putting my two cents in to tell the world that those among us who wonder may have a point and I hope today you may look around and spend a minute not looking at your clock. Perhaps you even could take a day and do what you want to do, not even what you think you’re supposed to do as you relax because that is once again doing what you’re supposed to do. I don’t mean to put new expectations on you. What I mean and I will use myself as an example is do what makes the world disappear from around you. If I am having that moment it is usually when I am writing, painting, crafting or reading. I have this moment when I am listening to the music I always have in the background, and I become so absorbed by whatever I am working on that I am no longer there. Emotionally, I am 100% given to the painting and I love that sense of diving into my work. Now we all know that some among us get to have this feeling every time they do the thing that makes them money, but, you know what, they are the exception. They are rare, but that does not mean that you should not take time and do what you love. Turn off the alarms. You should never have something to pull you back to reality when you are giving yourself over to what you love. Whether you are going to be praised for it or not, someone who loves you will love it as much as you do whatever you do, even if it is making a basket in a basketball game, painting, running, or writing, whatever makes you disappear into yourself and the busy world of technology not matter anymore.    
  

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I have been a reluctant user of technology for years and would never let my life be run by alarms! It is so much more rewarding to listen to the rythms of life, that actually get me to the right place most of the time.

    ReplyDelete